This Barrie 360 series content is brought to you by United Lumber Home Hardware
Renovating your home not only adds value to your property but also improves your quality of life by creating a more comfortable and inviting space. The problem is, undertaking a home renovation can be daunting, especially if you’re not familiar with DIY projects.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re updating a single fixture, revamping an entire room, or taking on a full-scale reno – there’s no sure fire way to guarantee a simple and straightforward reno. There are, however, ways to set yourself up for a greater chance of success.
This guide will provide tips, tricks, ideas, and inspiration for common DIY and home reno projects. (Click the options below to jump to that section.)
But before we get to those, let’s take a look at some of the steps you need to take before diving into any project.
Preparing For Your Home Renovation
Before you start a home renovation or DIY project, you need to have a solid plan. This is the best way to avoid surprises, stay under budget, and keep your stress levels from skyrocketing.
Here are some steps to take when planning for your next project:
1. Set Goals
The first step in planning your home renovation is to determine your goals. Are you looking to update your kitchen or bathroom? Do you want to add a new room or expand an existing one? Knowing what you want to achieve will help you develop a plan that fits your needs, skill level, and budget.
Next, you want to do your research and find out what’s involved in your project. Oftentimes, a renovation that seems straightforward can quickly go off the rails. Knowing what sort of obstacles you may run into will help you spot issues early on and ensure you aren’t setting yourself up for failure.
Be sure to research the steps involved, material and labor costs, tool requirements, common issues people run into, what permits may be needed, etc.
3. Create A Budget
Now that you know what project you’ll be working on and what’s involved, you need a budget. When determining a budget, always include a buffer to cover any surprises. This amount will depend on the size of the project, the cost of materials where you live, and potential issues.
Worst case scenario, you planned for the extra expenses and delays. Best case, you’ll save some money.
4.Make A Timeline
Once you have a budget, you need to set a timeline. Breaking your project into smaller tasks with deadlines will help you stay on track.
Like your budget, you want to hope for the best and plan for the worst when it comes to making a timeline. Be sure to leave some extra space for surprises.
5. Know When To Call A Professional
Home improvements have never seemed easier than they do today. Everywhere you look there are shows, online tutorials, and social media groups dedicated to DIY. But not every home renovation is DIY friendly and not everyone has the skills they need to complete every project.
While many homeowners can easily source materials, complete cosmetic updates, and do minor renos, some tasks should always be left to the professionals. This includes:
- Utility repairs and installations (gas, electric, plumbing, etc)
- Structural modifications
- Asbestos removal
Tips, Tricks, And Inspiration For Common Home Renovations
There are hundreds of renovations you can do yourself to help improve the look, feel and value of your home. Below are links to some popular articles that will provide tips, tricks, and inspiration for your next DIY project.
How To Paint Like A Professional
One of the easiest ways to update any space is to give it a fresh coat of paint. But to get the most impactful transformation, you want to be sure it’s done right. To achieve a professional-looking paint job.
9 easy steps for a perfect paint finish >>
Budget-Friendly Ideas For Updating Your Bedroom
Creating a cozy and inviting bedroom doesn’t have to break the bank. With a little creativity and resourcefulness, you can transform your space. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Apply a Fresh Coat of Paint (or Wallpaper): Choose calming colors such as light blues, greens, or purples, or go bold with intense shades that add energy to your space.
- Upcycle Your Furniture: Update your furniture with a fresh coat of paint and new hardware. For upholstered pieces, consider updating the fabric or using a slipcover.
- Make Your Own Headboard: Get creative and make your own wooden or upholstered headboard or use a contrasting paint color or wallpaper to give the illusion of a headboard.
Get more budget-friendly ideas for your next bedroom update >>
Easy Bathroom Updates You Can Do In A Day
Bathrooms are one of the most used spaces in our homes and should be functional and relaxing. But a full-blown bathroom renovation can be expensive.
Here are small upgrades you can do to make a big impact.
- Update Your Cabinets: Replace your vanity or cabinets with a new piece that matches your aesthetic, or give your existing vanity a makeover with a fresh coat of paint.
- Give Your Mirror A Face Lift: Swap out your frameless mirror for one with a bold modern frame or add a DIY frame or backsplash to make your old mirror pop.
- Clean Up Your Caulking: If any of your caulking is discolored or peeling, remove and replace it around your tub, sink and toilet. This will not only make everything look newer and cleaner, but it will also help prevent leaks and water damage.
9 easy bathroom makeover ideas >>
How To Design A Stunning Entrance Way
Sprucing up your home’s entrance can be a quick and easy way to breathe new life into your space. Here are five simple design ideas to make your foyer more welcoming:
- Upgrading Your Hardware: Refresh the appearance of your entrance and add characters by upgrading your hardware. Replace handles and locksets to give your house a new look both indoors and outdoors.
- Add Some Greenery: Plants are an excellent way to add life and texture to your space.
- Don’t Forget The Floor: To help make your entrance the focal point of your home, create a walkway leading up to your front door. Inside, try something new and unexpected without overwhelming your home, such as a patterned floor or rug.
More ways to improve your entrance way inside and out >>
How To Maintain An Outstanding Year-Round Garden
It can be a challenge to maintain a beautiful garden year-round in Barrie, especially when it’s covered in snow for half of the year. Luckily, there are ways to keep your garden vibrant and lively even during the colder months:
- Plant for all seasons so that your garden will continue to be colorful and lively.
- Plant each shrub, flower, and tree at the right time to guarantee a proper bloom the following season.
- Consider the bulb layering so that you always have new blooms sprouting up.
- Use mulch to improve moisture retention, reduce weeds, protect roots, and insulate in cold weather.
- Take advantage of container gardening to make sure there’s always foliage around your home.
- Remember that garden maintenance doesn’t stop in the winter.
- Take care of your tools.
Find out more about maintaining a fantastic beautiful year-round garden >>
What You Need To Know About Building A Deck
If you’re considering building a deck, there are several factors to consider before getting started. From determining if you need a permit and selecting the right materials to designing for functionality and privacy and thinking about weight distribution, there are many things to keep in mind.
9 Important Things To Remember When You Build A Deck >>
Creative Deck Ideas To Enhance Your Outdoor Space
Looking to transform your deck into an outdoor oasis for summer? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add comfortable seating and outdoor cushions to create a cozy space to relax.
- Install lighting to extend your deck’s use into the evening hours.
- Incorporate plants and greenery for a natural and inviting atmosphere.
- Consider adding a pergola or umbrella for shade and protection from the sun.
- Use outdoor rugs and decorations to add personality and style to your deck.
Don’t let a messy or neglected deck stress you out this summer. With a little creativity and effort, you can create the perfect outdoor space to enjoy all season long.
More ways to update your deck >>
How To Build An Outdoor Fire Pit
If you enjoy outdoor entertaining, a fire pit is a must-have. They elevate your space, act as a focal point, and extend the seasonality of your backyard so that you can gather outside any time of year.
But before you start building an outdoor fire feature, you need to learn some building basics.
How to build the perfect fire pit for your home or cottage >>
Outdoor Games To Make At Home
Outdoor games are another great addition to any outdoor entertainment space. While there are lots of pre-fab games available, many can be made at home with a few basic tools and supplies.
5 easy-to-make outdoor games (with instructions on how to build and play them) >>
Whether you are upgrading a bedroom, giving your bathroom a quick refresh, or enhancing your outdoor space with a new deck or fireplace, the ideas and tips provided in this guide can help you get started.
Good luck with your home renovation journey!